Baked Pastry-Wrapped Cheese – Bake from Scratch
Looking for a perfectly blended snack of savory and sweet? Then look no further than this Baked Pastry-Wrapped Cheese. Enveloped in flaky pastry, this warm and melty cheese is best served with a drizzle of honey or even your favorite jam or preserves.
Baked Pastry-Wrapped Cheese
- 1 (4-ounce) package crescenza cheese* (See Notes)
- Rough puff pastry dough
- 1 large egg (50 grams)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water
- Honey, to serve
- Cut cheese into a 2½-inch square; place remaining portions of cheese on top of square, pressing to adhere.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut rough puff pastry dough in half. Roll half of dough into a 9-inch square. (See Notes.) Cut an 8-inch circle from dough square. Pace prepared cheese in center of circle.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon (15 grams) water. Brush egg wash along sides of pastry. Wrap pastry up and around sides of cheese, crimping along top edges. (Cheese will not be covered in center.) Freeze until firm, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Lightly spray a 5-inch round ovenproof ceramic ramekin with cooking spray. Line ramekin with parchment paper, letting excess extend over sides of ramekin.
- Brush pastry with egg wash, and place in ramekin.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375°F (190°C), and bake until pastry is golden brown, 20-25 minutes more. Let cool in ramekin for 10 minutes. Using excess parchment as handles, remove from ramekin. Serve immediately with honey.
Crescenza cheese, also known as stracchino, is a mild-flavored and soft, almost spreadable Italian cheese that melts very well.