Banana Bread Sweet Rolls – Bake from Scratch
With banana in the dough and the filling, these Banana Bread Sweet Rolls combine the best parts of moist banana bread and sticky cinnamon rolls.
Banana Bread Sweet Rolls
- 5 cups (625 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages (14 grams) instant yeast*
- 1 tablespoon (9 grams) kosher salt
- 1 cup (240 grams) whole milk
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons (63 grams) honey
- ½ cup (115 grams) mashed ripe banana (about 1 medium banana)
- 1 cup (230 grams) mashed ripe banana (about 2 medium bananas)
- ¼ cup (55 grams) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons (3 grams) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60 grams) warm heavy whipping cream (100°F/38°C to 110°F/43°C)
- ½ cup (60 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 grams) whole milk
- Garnish: chopped walnuts
- For dough: In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together flour, yeast, and salt.
- In a small saucepan, heat milk, butter, and honey over medium heat, stirring frequently, until butter is melted and mixture registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C) on an instant-read thermometer. Add warm milk mixture and banana to fl our mixture. Using the paddle attachment, beat at low speed until a shaggy dough forms.
- Switch to the dough hook attachment; beat at medium-low speed until a smooth, elastic dough forms, 7 to 8 minutes, stopping to scrape bottom and sides of bowl and dough hook. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and shape into a round.
- Lightly spray a large bowl with cooking spray. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Lightly spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with baking spray with flour.
- For filling: In a small saucepan, whisk together banana, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking until sugar dissolves. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 3 minutes. Pour into a heatproof bowl, and let cool completely.
- Punch down dough, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll dough into a 19×13-inch rectangle. Using an offset spatula, spread cooled filling onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on both short sides and long side closest to you. Starting at long side without border, tightly roll dough into a log. Using a sharp serrated knife or unflavored dental floss, trim ½ inch off each end of log. Cut log into 12 slices (about 1½ inches thick). Place slices, cut side up, in prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) until puffed, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Pour warm cream all over rolls.
- Bake until centers are set and edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- For topping: In a small bowl, whisk together confectioners’ sugar and milk; drizzle onto rolls. Garnish with walnuts, if desired. Serve warm.