Grated Egg Toast · i am a food blog
Have you tried grated egg toast? Grated eggs aren’t anything new. In fact, they’re super retro a la Russian mimosa salad or grated egg salad. They even get super fancy at Dan Barber’s Blue Hill at Stone Barns served a top potato chip crust pizza. But grated eggs on avocado toast? That’s pure 2022.
There’s a viral Tiktok going around from @healthyishfoods where she grates hard boiled eggs onto avocado toast. The eggs are fluffy and super pretty with shreds of white and yellow. Grated egg on toast is genius. The beauty of eggs is how many different ways you can make them and I love this new take on eggs on avocado toast!
What are grated eggs?
Light, fluffy, and ethereal, grated eggs are simply hard boiled eggs, grated. It’s the same egg you know and love prepared a little differently to give it a fluffy, light, melt in your mouth texture.
How do you grate an egg?
It’s pretty simple: hard boil your egg using your favorite method then grab a grater. Peel your egg then gently grate it. Done! Use your grated egg to top toasts, sprinkle on salads, noodles, pasta, you name it, anything that you want to add a little richness to.
How to make grated egg avocado toast
- Make your avocado toast your preferred way. I like toasting a hearty piece of bread, smushing on ripe avocado, drizzling it with extra virgin olive oil and seasoning with flaky salt, freshly ground pepper, and a bit of crushed chili.
- Hard boil and peel your egg.
- Grate your egg on top of your toast. Enjoy the gloriousness of grated egg avocado toast!
What kind of grater?
You can use any kind of grater! I used to love those rotary graters https://amzn.to/3uuKJ06 and that would be a good option for this because you’d be able to grate the whole egg without your fingers getting in the way. A regular box grater or a microplane will work wonders as well. What kind of grater you use will give you different kinds of grated eggs. The coarse side of a box grater will give you larger shreds and a microplane will give you a fine egg dusting.
How to make perfect hard boiled eggs
For perfect grated egg toast, you need the BEST hard boiled eggs. I have done my eggs in the air fryer and the instant pot but usually I’ll just go for the straight up stovetop method.
- Remove the eggs from the fridge as your bringing your water to a boil. Prepare and ice bath with a large bowl of cold water and ice.
- Bring a pot of water to rolling boil, then turn the heat down and gently add eggs in, with a slotted spoon. Turn the heat back up to medium high and maintain a simmer for 12 minutes – we’re going to go on the harder side so they yolks grate properly – adjusting the heat down, if needed. You don’t want an intense boil, just a happy little simmer.
- When the time is up, immediately plunge the eggs into an ice bath to cool down.
- When cool, peel the eggs: Gently tap the wide end of the egg on the countertop, then flip around and tap the pointed end. Gently roll the egg and peel, under running water, if it helps.
Grating a cold egg is a lot easier than grating warm eggs. Meal prep a bunch of eggs, grab a cold egg from the fridge then grate away! Plus, refrigerated eggs peel more easily.
Other things you can top with grated eggs
- 1 slice toast
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 egg hard boiled, peeled
Toast your bread and smash the avocado on top. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and chili flakes.
Grate the hard boiled egg on top and enjoy!
Grated Egg Toast
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 162
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 3.3g21%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.