Homemade Beefaroni | Dinners, Dishes & Desserts
This hearty and meaty beefaroni recipe is quick and easy to make. It’s healthy, comforting, and packed full of amazing Italian flavors.
There aren’t many things in life that I love as much as pasta with meat sauce. So it probably goes without saying that I’m a huge fan of this beefaroni recipe. This dish is simple in the best way. It’s macaroni with ground beef, tomato sauce, lots of garlic, and some basic Italian seasonings. What more could you want?
Beefaroni always reminds me of childhood in a wonderful way. It’s such a cozy and comforting dish, but it’s also hearty and healthy. And this recipe is super easy, and only takes about 35 minutes from start to finish, so you can whip it up on a weekday after work. The sauce is garlicky and herby, the meat is tender and salty, and if you’re anything like me, you’ll always go back for seconds.
Why You’ll Love This Easy Beefy Pasta
This is one of my favorite Italian recipes to make. Here’s why I know you’ll love it every bit as much as I do.
- So quick and easy. I’m a believer that delicious and comforting meals shouldn’t take too long to make. This recipe only takes 35 minutes, and it only uses ingredients that are probably already in your cupboard, pantry, and fridge.
- Storable. This is a great meal to make a big batch of. It stores well in the fridge and in the freezer, so you can have leftover beefaroni anytime you’re craving it.
- Comforting. I think everyone should have a few comfort foods that they can cook up anytime they need them. This is one of mine, and it should be one of yours, too. This beefaroni recipe is so comforting and soothing, it will instantly put a smile on your face.
Here’s everything you need to make this 35-minute pasta dish. Scroll to the bottom of the article to find the recipe card if you want to know the exact amounts for each ingredient.
- Elbow macaroni – You can use other pasta shapes if you’re in a pinch, but it’s definitely best with elbow macaroni.
- Ground beef – I recommend using lean ground beef for this recipe.
- Onion – Yellow onions are best for beefaroni, but white and red onions will also work.
- Garlic powder
- Italian seasoning
- Black pepper – If possible, always use freshly-cracked black pepper.
- Tomato sauce
What is Italian Seasoning?
Italian seasoning is a very common spice blend that you can find in pretty much any grocery store. Every company has its own recipe, but it’s usually made of dried basil, thyme, rosemary, marjoram, and oregano. If you don’t have any Italian seasoning, you can just use some of those dried herbs.
How to Make Beefaroni
Here’s how to make this easy, beefy dish.
- Cook the beef and onions. Put the ground beef and the onions in a large skillet. Cook until the meat is brown and the onions are soft.
- Add garlic. Add the garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Finish the sauce. Add all of the seasonings and the tomato sauce. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Cook the pasta. While the sauce cooks, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to the instructions on the package.
- Finish. Drain the pasta and add it to the meat sauce. Toss to combine, then serve immediately.
Tricks and Tips
Here are a few tips to help you make the best possible beefaroni.
- Really brown the meat. When it comes to cooking ground beef, color equals flavor. The more color you get on the meat, the more flavor it will have. When cooking the ground beef for this recipe, make sure that you’ve really browned it before moving on to the next step. If the meat isn’t browning much, turn up the heat.
- Use fresh garlic. Garlic is one of the stars of this recipe. To make sure you get the best flavor possible, always use fresh garlic. Avoid garlic that is pre-minced or pre-peeled.
- Salt the water. Whenever you make pasta, you should always heavily salt the water that you’re cooking it in. This ensures that the pasta itself, and not just the sauce, is well seasoned.
What to Serve It With
Whenever I make beefaroni, I serve it with some nice Italian side dishes. Here are a few of my favorites.
How to Store and Reheat Leftovers
Leftover beefaroni will last for 4 days in the fridge if you store it in an airtight container. You can reheat it in the microwave in 20-second increments. It’s just as good, if not better, the next day!
Can This Recipe Be Frozen?
Definitely! I love to freeze this recipe for easy meals. Make sure to cool the beefaroni fully, then place it in an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 3 months. Defrost or thaw entirely before reheating.
More Easy Pasta Recipes
It’s hard to beat a good pasta dish. And it’s really hard to beat a good and easy pasta dish. Here are a few more of my favorites.
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and onions together, breaking up the beef until it’s cooked and the onions are soft.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute, until you can start to smell it.
- Stir in all the seasonings and add the tomato sauce. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil, and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Drain the pasta then add it to the sauce, and toss until everything is combined. Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Reheat in the microwave in 20-second increments.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 277Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 67mgSodium 1097mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 26g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!