Red, White & Blue Muddy Buddies
Get ready for a festive and delicious snack that’s perfect for any patriotic celebration – our Red, White & Blue Muddy Buddies! This irresistible twist on the classic snack mix is packed with flavor and guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Whether you’re hosting a Fourth of July party, Memorial Day picnic, or any other red, white, and blue-themed event, our Muddy Buddies are sure to be a hit. They are flavored with white chocolate and cake mix for a fun, sweet and delicious treat. Muddy Buddies are super easy to make, and can be ready in no time. Plus the red and blue M&M’s make it the perfect festive treat for your holiday get together.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Fast & Easy. This recipe takes about 10 minutes to throw together. Then you just have to let it set up for a little bit. But you can make it in the morning and have it ready to bring to your party in no time.
- Versatile. Mix it up! I used corn chex, but you can use whatever your favorite Chex, Crispix, or any cereal like that. You are coating it in white chocolate and then cake mix, so you just need a neutral flavored cereal.
- Mix it Up. In the summer they often sell Red, White & Blue M&M’s, that are great for this recipe. Or you can use pastel colors to make it at Easter or red and green to make at Christmas!
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
- Chex Cereal – Any flavor you like
- White Chocolate – I like to use almond bark or the white melting chocolate, just avoid chocolate chips so it is smooth and easy to work with.
- Cake Mix – I like to use a white cake mix, andy brand works fine
- Powdered Sugar
- Coated Pretzels – either yogurt coated or the white fudge pretzels
- Festive Sprinkles
How To Make Red, White & Blue Muddy Buddies
- Melt Chocolate. Melt your white chocolate or almond bark until completely melted and smooth. I use a microwave and heat at 30 second intervals.
- Mix Together. Pour the chocolate over the cereal and mix until it is well coated.
- Toss. Transfer the cereal mixture to a sealable plastic bag and add in the cake mix and powdered sugar. Seal and toss together until everything is well coated.
- Let it set. Pour the cereal out onto a baking tray and spread out to an even layer. Toss the pretzels, M&M’s and sprinkles over the top and let the muddy buddies set up for about an hour.
Storing Muddy Buddies
You can store these cake batter muddy buddies in an airtight container for 2-3 days. They will start to get soft and not the same texture after a couple days.
Recipe Tips & Variations
- Whatever your favorite cake mix works great here! You can mix up the flavor and get different colors. If you want the white color, make sure to use a white cake mix. But a strawberry cake mix would make them a little pink which could work well.
- Mix up the chocolate for different colors. Wilton and other brands sell candy melts that are different colors; red, green, pink, blue, yellow etc. You can pretty much find any color. So you could also get your chex different colors with the chocolate.
- It can be hard to find the patriotic M&M’s early in the season, so you can also just sort out the red and blue ones from a large bag. You should get close to enough for this recipe.
More Fun Summer Recipes
- 5 cups Chex cereal
- 12 oz vanilla almond bark or white melting chocolate
- 1 cup white cake mix
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup bed and blue M&M’s
- 1 cup coated pretzels
- 2 Tablespoons festive sprinkles
- Melt your white chocolate or almond bark until completely melted and smooth. I use a microwave and heat at 30 second intervals.
- Pour the chocolate over the cereal and mix until it is well coated.
- Transfer the cereal mixture to a sealable plastic bag and add in the cake mix and powdered sugar. Seal and toss together until everything is well coated.
- Pour the cereal out onto a baking tray and spread out to an even layer.
- Toss the pretzels, M&M’s and sprinkles over the top and let the muddy buddies set up for about an hour.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 389Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 6mgSodium 196mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 2gSugar 32gProtein 5g
Nutrition Disclaimer: All information presented on this site is intended for informational purposes only. I am not a certified nutritionist and any nutritional information shared on dinnersdishesanddesserts.com should only be used as a general guideline.
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!