S’mores Cookie Bar Recipe | Dinners, Dishes & Desserts
S’mores cookie bars – enjoy this iconic summertime treat without the campfire! A graham cracker crust holds a chewy cookie bar brimming with chocolate chunks and melty marshmallows. Make a batch and imagine you’re off camping at any time of year
Get all the flavor of classic S’mores in a super fun and easy bar cookie recipe. These S’mores Cookie Bars are complete with a graham cracker crust, chocolate, and plenty of marshmallows!
Recently I rediscovered this recipe for S’mores Cookie Bars. After trying these nostalgic and addictive treats again, I’m not sure why they ever slipped my mind. These bars nail that classic s’mores flavor by starting with a graham cracker crust. Atop the crust, a soft and thick chocolate chip cookie base overflows with gooey Hershey’s chocolate and marshmallows.
Enjoy these rich & chewy S’mores Cookie Bars as-is, or go crazy and serve them á la mode with vanilla bean ice cream on top. I love brownies and cookie bars, and brought the best of each world to my Chocolate Chip Cookie Brownie Bars recipe, otherwise known as “brookies.” And warm Turtle Brownies are divine with a scoop of ice cream, too.
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy to make with a list of ingredients you may already have in your pantry.
- They look extra delicious with chunks of Hershey’s bars pressed into the tops halfway through baking. Plus, more chocolate!
- No campfire or blowtorch is required to make these S’mores Bars.
- No repetitive cookie scooping is required.
- Great for potlucks, holidays, and serving a group.
What You’ll Need
Be sure to scroll down to the recipe card to get the measurements and full instructions!
For the crust:
- Graham Crackers – The classic Honey Maid brand is always great for these, but any brand will do.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is best unless you prefer a salty-sweet flavor combo. Butter helps to bind the crust together.
For the cookie layer:
- Mini Marshmallows – Adds delightfully gooey pockets of marshmallows.
- Chocolate Chips – Semi-sweet chips offer an ideal balance of sweetness and creaminess.
- Hershey Bars – Chunks of these get pressed into the tops of the bars for a maximum chocolate flavor.
- Butter – Unsalted butter is preferable for the cookie layer since the recipe contains salt.
- Sugar – Sweetens this cookie bar and helps it stay moist over time.
- Brown Sugar – It helps with moisture retention, adds chewiness and a hint of caramel flavor.
- Eggs – Binds the ingredients together, so the cookie isn’t too crumbly.
- Vanilla – Adds its signature aromatic flavor. Use pure vanilla extract.
- Flour – All-purpose flour makes a sturdy but tender cookie.
- Baking Soda
How To Make S’mores Cookie Bars
- Make the crust by combining the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press into the bottom of your prepared 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Bake the crust at 350°F for 7 minutes. Allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, make the cookie base. Cream the butter, and sugars together until fluffy. Be patient, it can take 2-3 minutes to get the mixture fluffy. Then mix in the eggs and vanilla until the eggs are fully incorporated.
- Stir in the dry ingredients until mixed, then fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Spread the cookie dough over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Top the bars with the broken pieces of Hershey bars, then return them to the oven and bake for 20-25 more minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before cutting.
- Love dark chocolate? Use dark chocolate chips instead, along with chunks of your favorite dark chocolate bar in place of the Hershey’s bar.
- If you are finding the cookie dough difficult to spread over the graham cracker crust, wet your fingertips slightly and press the dough out by hand.
- Be sure to allow the bars to cool to room temperature before slicing them. This is because cutting through warm chocolate and melty marshmallows will make a colossal mess!
- Want a shortcut? Use store bought cookie dough! Just mix in marshmallows when you press it into the pan.
And if you want traditional S’mores in the middle of winter, you can make my Oven S’mores!
They Don’t Sell Graham Crackers Where I Live. What Can I Use Instead?
Graham crackers can be substituted with digestive biscuits or Maria biscuits in a pinch. Graham crackers are a sweet crackers/biscuit/cookie that uses graham flour (hence the name) that originated in the United States.
How To Store
- Room Temperature – Store these bars at room temperature in an airtight container. Eat within 2-3 days. If it’s warm in your house, though, store them in the fridge instead.
- Refrigerate – Store the fully cooled bars in an airtight container in the fridge. They taste best at room temperature, so let them sit out for 15 minutes before eating for the best result. Refrigerate for up to one week.
- Freeze – Freeze the baked, cooled, and cut S’mores Cookie Bars in an airtight freezer-proof container. Place strips of waxed paper between the layers to keep them from sticking together. Store for up to 3 months.
- 1 1/2 cups Graham Crackers, (1 sleeve), crushed
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 whole large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cup mini marshmallows
- 1 (12 oz) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Hershey Bars, broken into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350º F. . Line a 13×9 baking pan with foil. Set aside
- Mix together the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar. Press into the bottom of the prepared pan. Bake for 7 minutes until lightly golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- In an electric mixer, cream butter, sugar and brown sugar together until light and fluffy at least 2 minutes.
- Add in eggs and vanilla, beat until fully combined.
- Mix in flour, salt and baking soda until the flour just disappears.
- Using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Spread the cookie dough over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes. Top with broken pieces of Hershey Bars.
- Return to oven and bake for 20-25 more minutes until set and golden brown.
- Remove and allow to cool completely before cutting.
Amount Per Serving
Calories 242Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 35mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 1gSugar 18gProtein 2g
I created a fun group on Facebook, and I would love for you to join us! It’s a place where you can share YOUR favorite recipes, ask questions, and see what’s new at Dinners, Dishes and Desserts (so that you never miss a new recipe)!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #dinnersdishes so I can see all the wonderful DINNERS, DISHES, AND DESSERTS recipes YOU make!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Instagram
Did you know there is a Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts SHOP? Lots of different E-Books for sale. Or you can buy me a coffee to say thanks!