This Week for Dinner: Brown Butter Gnocchi w/Butternut Squash
Thursday, February 16, 2023
This winter has been kind of insane. From our family in New England experiencing colder-than-the-North-Pole temperatures to rain deluges in California, I think we’re all just holding on for dear life (as well as ski poles). While extreme weather is no bueno, I do love winter and colder weather. Especially when it comes to cooking. And what is one of the coziest foods out there? Butternut squash. Truly one of my favorite vegetables, I’ll take it in any form and, if it’s on a menu, I’m ordering it.
Case in point: I once had a butternut squash dish at a restaurant in San Francisco that was simply prepared in brown butter. The squash was divine and one I will never forget. As I was thinking of ways to use squash other than soup, that dish came to mind and it seemed like the perfect springboard for gnocchi. Gnocchi just goes with the richness of brown butter and squash.
This brown butter gnocchi would make for a delicious side dish or a full vegetarian meal. The best part is you only need one skillet to cook the entire thing. It really is quick and easy to prepare – you’ll have dinner on the table in less than 30 minutes. Bonus: your house will smell like heaven!
And, in case you’re wondering, my kids enjoyed this gnocchi recipe as much as we did.
Quick question before I hand over the recipe: Does anyone have a good brand for gluten-free gnocchi that you like? Or a recipe that is good? Please share in the comments, I’m desperate to enjoy this once again with the rest of my family. Thank you!
One-Skillet Brown Butter Gnocchi with Butternut Squash
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed into ½” pieces
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 16-ounce package frozen gnocchi
- 2 tablespoons sliced shallots
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 packed cup roughly chopped fresh spinach
- Prep squash and set aside, making sure squash pieces are cut uniform in size to ½” cubes.
- In a deep 12-inch skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Let butter cook for about 5 minutes until it is browned. Butter will bubble and foam, then bubbles will subside at about the same time that the butter is browned. Stir regularly during the cooking process to avoid scorching.
- Once butter is browned, add squash, cover pan and cook for 7 minutes, stirring once or twice during the cook time.
- While squash is cooking, slice the shallots. After squash has cooked for 7 minutes, add the frozen gnocchi, shallots, thyme, sage, pepper, salt. Push the garlic clove through a garlic press and add to the pan. Stir well, cover and cook for 7 more minutes, stirring a few times during the cook time.
- While everything is cooking, roughly chop the spinach and set aside.
- During the last minute of the cook time, remove the lid and add the fresh spinach, cooking and stirring until spinach is wilted, about 1 minute.
- Serve immediately. Sprinkle with fresh Parmesan cheese if desired.